Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shutter Island

      Shutter Island may be the best mainstream movie of the year so far. I won't be revealing any of the plot, story or spoilers of any kind because just hints of any can ruin this film, therefore, I'm going to keep this short. The movie's suspense is based off the viewer knowing as little as possible about it going into the theater. I will say, however, I was able to guess the plot twist causing the film to be zapped of it's thrills and suspense at the ending. 
     Shutter Island combines, what I believe to be, strong character development with good story telling. Both of which are set in a creepy and dark atmosphere. To actually care about a character in a film nowadays is somewhat rare. Don't get me wrong, this film isn't necessarily built around the audience having emotions invested in the main character but if you can buy into the back-story and the character's current life and situation, it'll pay off at the end.
     I will say this(despite my earlier comment about know as little as possible), don't necessarily buy into the trailer. I've seen the trailer probably a dozen times before actually seeing the movie and, to me, it seemed as-if it was trying to sell a supernatural thriller. The story and settings certainly have a surreal feel to it but it's definitely not about ghosts or anything of that nature.
     Overall, Shutter Island is a solid film with a good story to tell. It's not the first movie ever to pull off the ending so if you've seen enough suspense-thrillers you may end up with an anticlimactic feeling, as I did. Despite that feeling, it was still worth seeing because the directing, acting, script, and plot/story are all above average. It's worth seeing in theaters. Go see.


Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYVrHkYoY80
Fish Bowl Rating: (Out of 5)

2 comments: